21.10.08

FINALLY! Ex-Chicago cop Burge arrested in torture cases

Former Police Cmdr. Jon Burge - who has cast a long shadow over the Chicago Police Department because of accusations he tortured suspects for two decades - was arrested this morning on charges of perjury and obstruction of justice.


Rest of the article from the Sun Times.

I find it interesting that they arrested him today, the day before National Day of Protest Against Police Brutality. I wonder how the rally will go tomorrow. I will, unfortunately, be at work.

This has got me thinking. I'm glad they arrested him, hopefully he will be punished- not enough for the pain he's caused, I'm sure. I'm amused by the cop in the video linked above goes one about not blaming cops now, this happened soooo long ago. I don't trust cops and I certainly don't believe that this was just a "bad apple." You put people in power, and they abuse that power.

However, in the past 2 months, my partner and I have had a few instances with the police. One where I was beaten up trying to protect a dog and one where he was beaten up on the street. Unfortunately, the people that beat me up (and the dog) plead not guilty twice so now it's possible jail time for them when we see each other next, in front of a jury. But I really don't think jail will solve anything. If the world was decent, I would have been able to make them volunteer at a dog shelter, take anger management and anti-domestic violence classes along with job training. I finally got anger management classes in the last court date plea, but they didn't take it. When my partner went to the cops, they just randomly rounded up some black kids and started spewing racist shit about the neighbor they were in (which is odd, because my partner is also of color).

There's also someone really close to me that, in my mind, needed to be punished for something they did several years ago. But they weren't, not by the government, they were punished by the scene they were in- and they actually changed. A lot from what I can gather. I plan on interviewing them at some point, but haven't yet.

Anyway, thoughts.

No comments: